Monster Train is a strategic deck building game developed by Shiny Shoe and published by Good Shepherd Entertainment. The game was released on May 21, 2020 for Windows and is now also available on XBox. The game can be purchased on various sites including:
Set on a train to hell, you’ll use tactical decision making to defend multiple vertical battlegrounds. With real time competitive multiplayer and endless replayability, Monster Train is always on time.
Hell has frozen over. Only you can protect the final burning pyre from the forces of heaven and restore the inferno. Monster Train brings a new strategic layer to roguelike deck building, with three vertical play fields to defend. Utilize more than 200 cards and build your own custom deck of spells and minions to protect the different levels of your train from invaders. Mix and match from five different monster clans, choose your route through hell and battle challenging foes to reclaim your infernal home.
Monster Train is a roguelike deck building game with over 200 cards, 88 artifacts and a swathe of upgrades for any card in your deck. This makes each run and strategy truly unique. Take on challenging enemies as you level up your monster clans and covenant - you’ll never play the same deck twice. To take back hell, you’ll need to power up. Choose your route carefully, different locations give different benefits; upgrade your champion, recruit powerful units, upgrade cards, gain passive bonuses or duplicate any card in your deck.
- "Before the Covenant, each Ring of Hell existed and evolved independently of each other. Being so different in their respective ecosystems and proximity to the Pyre, they developed different beings, cultures, and a society. Some of these clans are relatively young monster races while others have been there since the creation of Hell itself."
— Website Description
With five monster clans to choose from, each has its own unique and surprising gameplay. Pick your primary and supporting monster clan to gain access to all cards from both. During your run you will be able to improve cards by mixing and matching upgrades to open up new roads to victory. You can even duplicate your favourite card at special map nodes before facing off against the final boss.
- Hellhorned - Deep within the volcanic wasteland of the Scorched Plains, dwell the Hellhorned, the mighty warriors of Hell. They value strength above all else, using displays of aggression and collections of horns to signify their rank. Now their armies of demons and imps, led by the deadly Hornbreaker Prince, have banded together to drive out Seraph and the Winged from their frozen homeland.
- Awoken - In the Wildwood Forest, the Awoken leave no soul unattended. These plant-like creatures feed upon the souls trapped in their vines to nourish the Forest itself, slowly erasing the mind they’ve trapped in the process. As these souls lose their identity, they are reawakened as part of the Forest itself, forever growing its population of Animus and Hollows. And at the center of it all, the Sentient now guides these legions to fight with Hell and return to the Wildwood.
- Stygian Guard - As the original protectors of the inner Rings of Hell, and the Pyre itself, the Stygian Guard has a personal score to settle with Seraph. Their magic-based strength emanates from the sleeping Titan they’ve imprisoned beneath the Styx Sea. Now, with Tethys Titansbane commanding their forces of Sirens and Mages, the Stygian Guard harnesses the power of their ancient prisoner to enact their revenge.
- Umbra - At the beginning of Hell, there was only a darkness: the Umbra. Over time, the Shroud spread throughout the Crucible, splitting into Antumbra Morsels to mine the precious resources within. Now ousted from its ancient birthplace, Penumbra, said to be the origin of the Shroud itself, has rallied the entire Umbra shadow to Hell’s cause against Seraph and the Winged.
- Melting Remnant - When wax melts away, a soul is released - or so the Melting Remnant believes. Focused on wealth, either spiritual or material, the residents of the Waxen Arches have split themselves into two factions: The Waxers and the Wickless, each defined by their shared belief in wax’s gift of life and their desires to be released from it or to live forever. As the leader of both, Rector Flicker has united them under Hell’s banner to reclaim what they’ve lost.
- Hell Rush - Up to Eight players compete in a frantic real time contest. Each player has the same resources as opponents to create a level playing field. With the clock ticking it’s a test of who can make the best decisions under pressure. Only a true speed demon can remain undefeated.
- Daily Challenge - Take on a new challenge every day with a hugely modified run due to gameplay mutators. Compete globally and against friends, and climb the leaderboards with a skill-focused scoring system.
- Custom Challenge - Design your own unique challenge and share it with friends. Each custom challenge has its own leaderboard so you can send your friends straight to hell.
There has been one DLC released for Monster Train
- The Last Divinity (DLC) was released on March 25, 2021.
|Monster Train | The Last Divinity|
|Hellhorned | Awoken | Stygian Guard | Umbra | Melting Remnant | Wurmkin|
|Custom Challenge | Daily Challenge | Expert Challenges | Hell Rush||Card Frames | Covenant Ranks | Hell Rush | Mutators|
|Rings of Hell||Battle|
|Artifacts | Concealed Caverns | Divine Temple | Merchants | Overworld Events | Unit Banner||Battle Effects | Enemies | Status Effects|
|Banner Unit | Card Effects | Champions | Rarity | Starter Deck | Upgrades||Charged Echoes | Ember | Gold | Pact Shards | Pyre|
|Floor Overstacking | Infinite | Scoring | Threats||Heaven | Hell | Herzal||Mods | Save File Editing|